Hey psss! Did you read the article I wrote for YUJ’s French blog?
It’s about getting our body ready for the transition from summer to fall. I was inspired by some ayurvedic routines and tried to build a gentle and easy routine to follow, in order to cleanse the body before entering the new season. For those of you who want to practise their French, please, go ahead, and have a look at the post. For the others, you will find the translation of the article below.
Cold weather is approaching! How to get ready for the change of season?
Dear Yoginis, we know you dread the coming fall, the coming cold and the coming rain! We do too at YUJ!
But come on! We should not feel dejected since fall can also be a “warm” season with the nice twilight, the pumpkins’ warm colors, the cosy sweaters and the steaming herbal teas…
Fall can be a likable time of the year! All the more so as YUJ is launching a new series called “Fall in The City”. You will read 4 episodes in which you will find tips to reenergize the body despite the greyness and the cold.
In this first post, we will share some Ayurveda-inspired tips to get our body prepared for the coming gloomy weather… in a gentle way!
According to the Ayurvedic medicine, external factors -such as climate and seasons- affect our internal balance and our wellness. During these changes of season, it is very important to listen to our body, to cocoon and to be nice to ourselves.
Here is a fall routine we can follow to feel good and grounded:
– First and foremost, we should use a tongue scraper after waking up to get rid of those bacteria that built up during the night.
– Then, on an empty stomach, we can drink a big glass of warm filtered water to rekindle our digestive fire… and help eliminate the toxins.
– For breakfast, we should try to eat some sweet fruits instead of the ones that are too tart.
– Throughout the day, we eat some light spices such as ginger, fennel, cinnamon, turmeric, cumin and coriander. We can consume these spices in an herbal tea, on our morning fruits or on our evening soups. That’s to say, we can use them with and on everything!
PS: Our favorite easy-peasy combo is grated apple + grated pear + cinnamon + ginger + cardamon.
– We do not forget to drink, as always! Herbal teas, filtered water -our best friend for a life full of vitality- or cold-pressed and organic fruit&veggie juices. Your call!
– With the coming cold, we try and curb our consumption of frozen products and drinks as they slow the digestion process (especially during cold seasons).
– At night, before curling up in the bed, we can massage our feet and body with sesame oil. In Ayurveda, sesame oil is said to help get rid of the toxins caused by stress, anger, alcohol and pollution.
– And finally, for those of you who are keen on detox and cleanses, Ayurvedic medicine recommend to clean our body thanks to a 3-to-5-day “fast” (during which we could consume nothing but liquid and nutritious products). Or we could also decide to set one day of detox per week during the whole season. And you know our favorite Detox brand: Nubio. We love their “Intense Cure” which consists of green juices rich in chlorophyll. This cure always does miracles for the complexion!